There are many pet owners who loves their pets so much that they have to bring them whenever they have to go traveling. The idea of traveling with pets can be quite scary for any pet owner because they don’t know if their pet will be welcomed and properly accommodated during their travel. An even worse thought is if their pet will be accommodated at all. But traveling with a pet isn’t that difficult as many people would think, granted that you understand exactly what are the things to expect and there is enough preparation on your part. With modern air travel and hotel facilities, it is now very much possible to take your pets into an enjoyable trip. It is now common for some air lines to offer frequent flyer miles for pets who are always traveling or hotels that offers amenities for your furry friends. Here are some tips for pet owners who are planning to take their pets when traveling:
* One of the most absolute requirement when traveling with pets is to check with your veterinarian first. Let the vet know about the details of the trip destination, mode of transportation and duration. The doctor may recommend the use of sedatives depending on the duration of the trip and if your pet is feeling anxious or aggressive. Also make sure that your pet is updated with the necessary vaccinations.
* Before the travel date, it is highly advised that you research about pet friendly travel accommodations which you and your pet can avail. If you find a suitable one, make your reservations.
* If you are planning to take your pet in an air travel, then it is recommended that you acclimate your pet to its container or carrier. You can do this by placing treats or its favorite toy inside the carrier.
* Feeding your pet inside the carrier will also help your pet in getting comfortable with it. This step helps your pet to associate pleasant experiences with the carrier.
* You should avoid giving your pet with food and water within 12 – 18 hours of your departure. During this time frame, water provision should be limited. This step minimizes the chances of accidents while traveling.
Spend your pet’s energy by exercising or playing with it before the flight.
* This increases the likelihood of your pet to relax or sleep during the duration of the trip.
* Make sure to properly bathe and groom your pet prior to the trip.
Pack the necessary supplies that are needed for the trip. This includes the basic necessities and contingency supplies. These includes: food and water, feeding bowls, extra towels, plastic bags / litter boxes, pet treats and toys, extra leash and medical supplies.
Just follow these steps and you and your pet will surely have a great time while traveling. Traveling with a pet is not at all that difficult, but it can get quite tricky. So what you need is proper information and preparation in order to ensure that the trip goes according to plan